Our small batch zucchini risotto recipe brings you a comforting, creamy, and flavorful dish. It combines the earthiness of zucchini with the richness of Arborio rice, creating a delightful Italian delicacy. Whether enjoyed as a standalone meal or an accompaniment to a main course, this zucchini risotto will deliver a restaurant-quality experience right in your home.
- 1 cup/200g arborio rice
- 2 1/4 cups/530ml vegetable broth, divided
- 3/4 cup/175ml dry white wine (or more vegetable broth)
- 4 tbsp/60ml olive oil, divided
- 1/2 med/90g yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves/10g garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp/3g salt
- 1/2 tsp/1g ground pepper
- 3/4 tsp/1g dried oregano
- 1 lg/150g zucchini
- 8 oz/225g cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup/15g packed basil leaves
- Roasted pine nuts and/or grated parmesan to serve (optional)
- Mince onion and garlic.
- Slice zucchini in semi-circles a little over ¼”/6mm thick. Slice tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Stack the basil leaves and slice into thin ribbons.
- In a large, heavy bottom pot, heat 2 tbsp/30ml of olive oil on medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the rice. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently, until rice becomes translucent on the edges.
- Immediately add the white wine and stir to lift any rice grains stuck to the pot.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes to boil off the alcohol. Add 1 ¾ cup/415ml broth, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat slightly and cook for 12-14 minutes until the liquid is absorbed, stirring regularly.
- Turn the heat to low. Stir in the remaining ½ cup/65ml of broth. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp/30ml of olive oil in a large pan over high heat.
- Add the sliced zucchini. Get them as flat as possible in the pan. Cook for 60-90 seconds before flipping them.
- Cook the second side for an additional 30-60 seconds. You want to see some brown spots but they should be only just cooked. Remove from the pan but leave the oil in the pan.
- With the pan still on high heat, add the sliced tomatoes. Cook for 30-60 seconds. Until starting to soften on the edges. Remove from the pan.
- Stir zucchini, tomatoes, and ¾ of the basil gently into the risotto.*
- Serve immediately topped with the remaining basil.