Do you love Panera’s French Onion Soup? It’s a delicious combination of sweet caramelized onions, flavorful broth, and gooey melted cheese that’s hard to resist. With this Panera french onion soup copycat recipe, you can make a delicious version of the restaurant favorite in your own kitchen.
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire
- Tomato Gastrique (made from the ingredients above)
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup of croutons
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese
- Chop your onions into thin slices and grate your cheese. Set aside.
- Start by creating the tomato gastrique by boiling the white vinegar in a saucepan until it has boiled down to half its amount of liquid.
- Add the sugar to the white vinegar and mix continuously for about 3-5 minutes or until the mixture has become syrupy.
- Add the tomato sauce to this syrup and mix until combined. Then remove from the heat.
- In a large pot add the olive oil and sliced onions and cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the onions have become golden brown and caramelized.
- Add the flour and mix the onions until they are fully coated and the flour covered onions soak up all the juices.
- Add in the beef broth, tomato gastrique, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, cornstarch and all the seasonings. Stir this mixture together.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Get ready to in a bowl, top with croutons and cheese and enjoy!
OXO Good Grips Grate & Slice SetBuy Now →
Stoneware by Souper Cubes 5 x 5 Baking Dish (Set of Two)Buy Now →
Souper Cubes 2-Cup Silicone Freezer Tray (Pack of Two)Buy Now →
Staub Cast Iron 4-qt Round Cocotte with Glass LidBuy Now →
Souper Cubes 1-Cup Silicone Freezing Tray with Lid (Pack of Two)Buy Now →
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 50
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop