Do you want to make a smaller batch of rice krispie treats? It is more practical to make just one pan of them rather than a double batch, which would go stale. This small batch rice krispie treats recipe is also an excellent meal prep or weekday dessert because it can be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container until you are ready to eat.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- 3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Once melted, add in the salt and stir. Then divide the marshmallows by separating 1 cup and setting it aside for a later step. Pour the rest of the marshmallows into the pot and continue to stir until melted.
- Once melted, remove the pot from the heat and then add in the vanilla extract. Give it a quick stir before adding in the Rice Krispies cereal and the 1 cup of marshmallows we set aside earlier. Fold gently until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan and spread it out evenly, without pressing in too hard. Use the back of a wet fork or spoon to lightly press it down and into the corners of the pan. Do not overpack it otherwise it will become hard once set.
- Leave it on the counter to set for at least 1 hour. Do not refrigerate or it will harden and be difficult to eat.
- Once set, slice into 4 bars or 8 squares and enjoy!
- These are best stored in an airtight container on the counter at room temperature. Refrigerating will harden it.
- It is best eaten fresh and consumed within 1-2 days.