Have you ever felt stuck in a salad rut? You’re not alone. It’s easy to get bored when you’re eating the same old lettuce-tomato-cucumber combo day in and day out. But hold on, because we’re about to introduce you to a summertime salad that will revamp your salad game for good. Say hello to the Blackberry Chicken Salad! This is not your regular salad; it’s a symphony of flavors that will have your taste buds dancing.
The Blackberry Chicken Salad is an exquisite blend of juicy blackberries, tender grilled chicken, fresh greens, and a tangy homemade dressing. It’s a complete meal that’s not just filling but also a feast for your senses. The combination of sweet and tart blackberries, savory chicken, and the crunch of fresh veggies creates a satisfying texture and taste that’s unbeatable. If you’re someone who thinks salads are boring, this Blackberry Chicken Salad is here to change your mind. It’s time to bid farewell to boring salads and say hello to a delightful dining experience that’s both healthy and delicious.
Why Blackberry Chicken Salad is a Game-Changer
Our Blackberry Chicken Salad is not just a side dish; it can hold its own as a main meal. And it’s not just about lettuce and tomatoes; it introduces an unexpected yet delightful twist for a fun summer salad. This recipe is naturally gluten free and grain free. Even if you’re a beginner in the kitchen, you can whip up this salad in no time.
Another reason why the Blackberry Chicken Salad is a game-changer is its versatility. It’s a salad for all seasons. You can enjoy it as a light summer meal or a hearty winter lunch. You can serve it at a picnic, a potluck, or a formal dinner. The possibilities are endless.
The Nutritional Benefits of Blackberry Chicken Salad
This Blackberry Chicken Salad Recipe is not just about taste; it’s also packed with nutritional benefits. The star of the salad, blackberries, are a powerhouse of antioxidants. They’re rich in vitamins C and K, and they’re an excellent source of dietary fiber. They’re also low in calories, making them a perfect addition to a weight loss or fat loss diet.
The chicken in the salad provides a lean source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues. Plus, it helps to keep you feeling full for longer, reducing the likelihood of overeating. The various greens add a dose of vitamins A, C, K, and B6, as well as minerals like calcium and iron.
The homemade dressing, made with olive oil, blackberries, dijon mustard, and balsamic vinegar, is a healthier alternative to store-bought dressings that are often high in sodium and sugar. Olive oil is a good source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, while vinegar aids in digestion and helps to regulate blood sugar levels.
Ingredients Needed for the Blackberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken Salad
The beauty of the Blackberry Chicken Salad lies in its simplicity. This recipe is designed to serve 1-2 people depending on your appetite and protein needs. The ingredients are common, easy to find at the grocery store, and you might already have them in your pantry or fridge. Here’s what you’ll need for the salad ingredients:
- Sweet Blackberries: These add a burst of flavor and color to the salad.
- Chicken Breast: This serves as a protein-packed addition to the salad.
- Spring Mix: This is a good combination of lettuce to act as the base of the salad
- Sliced Avocado: The buttery texture of avocado perfectly complements the sweet-tart blackberries and adds a dose of healthy fats to keep you feeling satisfied.
- Red Onion: This adds a sharp flavor that balances out the sweetness of the blackberries.
- Walnuts: These add crunch and are a great source of healthy fats.
- Homemade Blackberry Vinaigrette: This dressing is made with blackberries, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, honey, coconut aminos, dijon mustard, and salt and pepper.
- Sea Salt, Black Pepper, and Garlic Powder: For seasoning the chicken and dressing
Equipment Needed for This Recipe
Making this Blackberry Walnut Salad doesn’t require any fancy equipment. Here’s what you’ll need for this great recipe:
- A grill pan or skillet for the chicken (or can also use an air fryer or bake your chicken in the oven)
- A sharp knife and a cutting board to cut the veggies
- A large serving bowl for mixing the ingredients
- A small bowl and a whisk for the dressing
Step-by-Step Blackberry Chicken Salad Recipe
Now that you know the simple ingredients you’ll need, let’s get down to the exciting part – making the Blackberry Chicken Salad. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
Tips for Perfecting Your Blackberry Chicken Salad
Making the Blackberry Chicken Salad is straightforward, but here are a few tips to make it even better:
- Use fresh, ripe blackberries for the best flavor. You can also use frozen blackberries just make sure to bring them to room temperature before starting your dressing. If you go with frozen berries don’t use them as a salad topper, just in the dressing.
- Don’t overcook the chicken. It should be juicy and tender.
- Add the dressing just before serving your salad to prevent the salad from becoming soggy.
- Feel free to customize the salad with your favorite ingredients. You can add other summer fruits like strawberries or peaches, or you can add cheese and switch up the nuts.
Pairing Suggestions for Blackberry Chicken Salad
The Blackberry Chicken Salad is a versatile dish that pairs well with a variety of foods. It’s great on its own, but if you want to create a more elaborate meal, here are a few ideas:
- Pair it with a crusty baguette for a fun picnic lunch.
- Serve it with grilled fish for a healthy dinner.
- Pair it with a glass of white wine for a fancy dinner.
Ways to Modify the Blackberry Chicken Salad Recipe
One of the best things about the Blackberry Chicken Salad is its flexibility. You can easily modify the recipe to suit your dietary needs or personal preferences. Here are a few ideas:
- For a vegetarian or vegan version, replace the chicken with tofu or chickpeas.
- Add other fruits like strawberries, raspberries, or peaches for a fruit salad twist.
- Swap the chicken for grilled shrimp for a seafood variation.
- Add quinoa or couscous to make it a grain salad.
Storage and Leftovers
Storing the Extra Serving
This Blackberry Walnut Salad is just as delicious the next day, making it a fantastic choice for a grab-and-go lunch. Here’s how you can store your leftover salad for optimal freshness:
- In a Mason Jar: Start by layering the ingredients in a mason jar, with the dressing at the bottom. Follow it with sturdy ingredients that won’t wilt or get soggy from the dressing, like your red onion and blackberries. The chicken goes next. Finally, put the lettuce on top. This way, the salad ingredients remain fresh and crisp. When you’re ready to eat, just shake up the jar to distribute the dressing evenly. Be sure to store your avocado and walnuts separately and add when you are ready to eat.
- In an Airtight Container: Alternatively, you can store the salad in an airtight container. However, to prevent sogginess, store the dressing and walnut separately and add them just before you’re ready to eat. Keep the avocado separately as well, to avoid browning.
Making Use of Leftover Ingredients
If you find yourself with leftover ingredients after preparing this salad, there are plenty of ways to use them:
- Half an Avocado: The remaining half of the avocado can be used on the second half of the salad or in a variety of dishes. Spread it on toast for a quick and healthy breakfast, add it to a smoothie for a creamy texture, or use it in a wrap or sandwich for a dose of healthy fats. To prevent browning, store the leftover avocado with its pit in an airtight container or foil. You can also squeeze a bit of lemon or lime juice on it.
- Remaining Onion: You can use the rest of the red onion in a variety of dishes. Slice it thinly and use it in sandwiches, chop it up for a salsa or guacamole, or sauté it and add it to a stir-fry or an omelet. Store leftover onion in a sealed container in the fridge to keep it fresh.
- Extra Blackberries: If you have leftover blackberries, they make a delicious snack on their own or you can add them to a fruit salad or a smoothie. They also make a tasty topping for yogurt, oatmeal, or pancakes. Store them in the refrigerator and try to use them within a few days for the best taste.
Revamp Your Salad Game with Blackberry Chicken Salad
This Blackberry Chicken Salad recipe is a dish that’s packed with flavors, textures, and nutritional benefits. It’s a versatile recipe that you can modify to suit your needs, and easy to share with your partner or a friend. So why not give it a try?
Revamp your salad game with our Blackberry Chicken Salad. It’s time to say goodbye to boring salads and hello to a salad that’s exciting, delicious, and good for you.
Our Blackberry Chicken Salad is a refreshing take on the classic salad. Brimming with juicy blackberries, succulent grilled chicken, crunchy walnuts, and a homemade tangy vinaigrette, it’s a symphony of flavors and textures. Quick and easy to prepare, this salad is not just a side dish but a hearty meal in itself, offering a perfect blend of health and taste.
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- 8 oz chicken breasts
- 6 cups spring mix lettuce
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 a red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- In a medium bowl, add ½ cup blackberries and use a fork to mash blackberries. Add the remaining dressing ingredients except for the salt and pepper to the smashed blackberries. Whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Prep your veggies. Chop your red onion and avocado into slices.
- Season your chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, and garlic powder until coated (to taste).
- Grill or saute the chicken in a large skillet over medium-high heat until fully cooked through. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the spring mix lettuce. Arrange the blackberries, avocado, red onion, and walnuts on top of the bed of lettuce.
- Slice the cooked chicken and set it over the salad. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
- Soy sauce can be used as an alternative to coconut aminos if you are not following a gluten free diet.
- Store any remaining dressing in the fridge for 2-3 days.