Are you in the mood for a vegan dessert that takes no time to make? Then there’s nothing better than a Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake! It has a rich, classic taste – perfect for a light, fluffy cake topped with fruit.
This amazing vegan vanilla mug cake recipe is super simple and fast, made with only a few basic ingredients in just a few minutes. This recipe is perfect if you want no leftovers or a sweet treat (fast!). Whether you’re an experienced vegan baker or a vanilla lover eager to try something new, then give this mug cake a try. It will be ready before you even know it and tastes delicious too!
What Is A Mug Cake?
A mug cake is a single-serving cake prepared in a mug, usually microwaved or baked. It’s the perfect single-serving, quick and easy version of traditional cakes. All you need are some pantry staples like flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and vanilla extract.
Mug cake recipes are popular for people who want a quick dessert and need more time, energy, or ingredients to prepare a whole cake.
This our vanilla version of our single-serving cake recipe but if you are interested in a chocolate mug cake we do have a recipe on our blog.
Ingredients Needed For This Easy Recipe
All you need to make this vegan vanilla mug cake recipe are a few simple ingredients readily available in your pantry. Though a few might warrant a quick trip to the grocery store. Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
For the Cake:
- All-Purpose Flour (substitute: Whole Wheat Flour or Oat Flour)
- White Sugar (substitute: Coconut Sugar)
- Baking Powder
- Salt (a pinch)
- Vegetable Oil (substitute: Olive Oil)
- Unsweetened Almond Milk (or other non-dairy milk like Soy Milk or Oat Milk)
- Vanilla Extract
For the Raspberry Sauce:
- Raspberries, frozen
- Fresh Orange Juice
- Granulated Sugar (substitute: Maple Syrup)
Ingredient Notes for Microwave Cake
Flour forms the base of this delightful cake, providing structure and a soft, tender texture. All-purpose flour is excellent for this recipe, but you can also use whole wheat flour or oat flour.
Besides adding sweetness to the cake, sugar also helps create a moist, tender base. Granulated sugar works perfectly here, contributing to the overall flavor and ensuring a delightful sweetness. It also adds sweetness to the raspberry sauce, complementing the natural tang of the fruit.
Baking powder allows the cake to rise and remain airy. It creates bubbles in the batter, resulting in a light and fluffy texture. Make sure your baking powder is smooth and not expired to produce the best results.
A pinch of salt is a secret ingredient that enhances the flavors in baked goods. It balances the sweetness and adds depth to the overall taste of the cake, creating a well-rounded flavor profile.
Vegetable oil adds moisture and richness to the cake instead of butter. It also helps keep the cake moist for a longer period. Opt for a neutral-flavored oil like vegetable, avocado, olive, or canola oil to avoid overpowering the delicate flavors of the cake.
Almond Milk (or other plant-based milk)
Non-dairy milk is the liquid component in this vegan mug cake recipe. It provides moisture and helps bind the ingredients, contributing to the overall texture and tenderness. Feel free to experiment with different non-dairy milk options based on your preferences.
This ingredient adds a lovely aromatic note and a touch of sweetness to the cake. It enhances the flavor profile, giving the cake a delightful vanilla essence. Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor results.
Frozen raspberries are the star ingredient in this luscious raspberry sauce. They bring vibrant color, tartness, and a fruity flavor to complement the vanilla cake. High-quality frozen raspberries are best for this recipe.Fresh Orange Juice: Freshly squeezed orange juice adds a bright and tangy element to the raspberry sauce. It helps balance the sweetness and complements the raspberry flavor beautifully. The citrusy touch adds a refreshing twist to the sauce, elevating its overall taste.
Equipment Needed For This Recipe
To make this simple but delicious mug cake, all you need are kitchen tools you already own, and you’re on your way to creating a satisfying dessert! The tools you need are below:
- Microwave-safe bowl or large mug for mixing the ingredients and making the sauce
- Fork for mixing ingredients
- Small mug for baking the cake, make sure this is microwave safe
Step-by-Step Guide to Making a Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake
Storage And Leftovers
Since this is a single-serve mug cake, we bet there won’t be any leftovers! This recipe is also best eaten freshly baked to savor the flavors of the cake and fruit sauce.
If you decide to make an extra mug or two, you can store it in the refrigerator for a day without compromising the cake’s flavor and texture. It can last up to three months in an air-tight container inside the freezer, but it will affect the cake’s texture.
Here is the best way to store leftover ingredients:
- Flour, Baking Powder, and Granulated Sugar are best kept in an air-tight container to avoid moisture from getting in and causing clumps. Sift flour and baking powder before using.
- Almond Milk: Compared to regular milk, certain brands of almond milk, and other non-dairy milk can take less time in the refrigerator. Store in an air-tight bottle or container and consume in other recipes.
- Frozen Raspberries: Frozen raspberries keep well in the freezer. For the best freshness use these within three days after thawing, as the thawing process may cause the fruit to turn soggy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s Make This Easy Vegan Dessert
Our Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake is a perfect balance of simplicity, speed, and flavor. This gem is more than a dessert; it’s a delight that can satiate your sweet tooth in mere minutes. It’s not just the taste, but the convenience and adaptability that make this recipe a winner. From the rich vanilla base to the vibrant, tangy raspberry sauce, each ingredient works together to create an unforgettable culinary experience.
So when you need an instant dessert, remember this Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake recipe. It is not only quick and easy but also a perfect combination of mindful indulgence. From its vegan-friendly nature to its single-serve convenience, it’s a sweet treat that fits right into any lifestyle. No more waiting – grab your mug and let the baking begin!Print
Craving a quick and delectable vegan dessert? Our Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake is the answer! Indulge in its rich, classic flavor as you savor a light, fluffy cake adorned with fresh fruit. This incredible recipe is unbelievably simple and speedy, using just a handful of basic ingredients. Whether you’re a seasoned vegan baker or simply love the taste of vanilla, give this mug cake a whirl.
For the cake:
- 5 tbsp/38g all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp/38g granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp/2g baking powder
- Pinch/1g salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp/38ml vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp/60ml almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 tsp/3ml vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup/55g frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp/30ml fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp/13g granulated sugar
Make the cake:
- In a large measuring cup or small bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, salt, and baking powder. Stir with a fork to evenly combine everything.
- Add the almond milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Stir with a fork or a small whisk until smooth, making sure to scrape the side and corners to incorporate all the dry ingredients.
- Pour into an ungreased, 12oz/336ml microwave safe mug.
- Microwave on full power for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Timing depends on strength of microwave – very cheap/low watt microwaves may need up to 2 ½ minutes until the edges are no longer batter.
- Allow cake to cool for at least 5 minutes before eating.
Make the sauce:
- In a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup, combine the raspberries, orange juice, and sugar.
- Microwave for 1 minute until everything is soft. Stir combine.
- Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes in 60 second intervals until sauce is close to desired consistency. Sauce will thicken slightly as it cools so don’t cook it too far.
- Drizzle sauce over cake to serve.