One of our favorite snacks is popcorn! Did you know that you can have your own freshly-popped popcorn in just a few minutes by using your Instant Pot? Making popcorn in an Instant Pot is super easy and quick. This method mimics making popcorn on your stove top but is a great alternative if you don’t have access to a full kitchen.
The aroma of freshly-popped corn is so inviting! This “recipe” yields about three cups of popped corn – enough for one person for a single serving. If you want to make more or less than that, simply adjust the number of kernels accordingly. We have more tips on that below!
ingredients needed for Instant Pot Popcorn
This is a non-recipe so you really need just a few simple ingredients to make this easy snack:
- Popcorn Kernels – Yellow or White Corn
- Neutral Oil – We like using avocado oil for this recipe because it has a very high smoke point
- Butter (Optional) – For a more buttery tasting popcorn)
Any sort of popcorn kernels will work for this recipe! You can use red or blue popping corn if you like those flavors better than standard yellow or white popping corn.
If you want a more buttery flavor to your popcorn mix 1 tablespoon of butter into your cooking oil on saute mode before adding your popcorn.
You can use any neutral-tasting oil in this recipe such as canola oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil, or olive oil.
equipment needed for Instant Pot Popcorn
You just need an instant pot or a pressure cooker to make this recipe with an instant pot glass lid! We are using the 6-quart Instant Pot which is perfect for the solo cook. You could also make this in a 3-quart Instant Pot, just watch your popping time so your kernels don’t spill over.
You’ll also need a large bowl to hold your popcorn when you are ready to eat.
Equipment You’ll Need
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker – 6 Quart
- Clear Glass Lid
- Glass Bowl
What if I want to make more or less popcorn?
Luckily this is very scalable non-recipe! Follow our popcorn ratio chart:
|1/8 cup||about 4 cups popped||about 1 serving|
|1/4 cup||about 8 cups popped||about 2 servings|
|1/2 cup||about 16 cups popped||about 4 servings|
Use this handy guide from Popcorn.org to figure out your unpopped to popped kernel measurements.
There are only about 117 calories and 9 grams of fiber in 1/4th of a cup of unpopped popcorn kernels. For us we like a voluminous snack just for one so we air on more popcorn than less. Since all bodies are different the serving size is up to you so use this chart to size your portion up or down!
How do you make Instant Pot Popcorn?
It’s so easy to make Instant Pot Popcorn! Just set your Instant Pot on the saute function, add a little oil, some kernels, your lid, and press start. In just a few minutes, you’ll be enjoying hot, fresh popcorn with no mess left over.
Step 1: Set your pot on saute mode using the saute button and immediately place the oil inside your instant pot.
Step 2: Allow the oil to heat up for about 2 minutes, or until your instant pot displays the word “hot” before placing your popcorn kernels in the pot.
Step 5: In about 2-3 minutes of heating while covered, you will start to hear the popcorn kernels popping.
Step 6: Let the kernels pop for about 5 minutes or until most of the kernels have popped into popcorn.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Instant Pot Popcorn
Let’s get Popping Homemade Pressure Cooker Popcorn
Making Instant Pot Popcorn is a fun and easy way to enjoy a tasty snack. You can make it sweet or savory, but either way, popping your own corn is a delicious and healthy snack idea. It’s also a great way to get in a little extra fiber to your diet and is a budget-friendly snack. You can make Instant Pot Popcorn in just minutes when you feel a little snacky. Be sure to try out this recipe for delicious and healthy popcorn for your next movie night.
Did you make this? We want to see how it turned out! Tag us in your social media posts @thesolospoon and use #thesolospoon when you share!
Instant Pot Popcorn for One
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
Skip the stove and whip up a quick bowl of popcorn in minutes, using your instant pot! Easy, less mess, and easier to contain than a pot. Delicious and perfect popcorn every time.
- 1/4 cup Popcorn Kernels
- 1 tablespoon Neutral Oil (avocado oil)
- Set your pot on saute and immediately place the oil inside your instant pot.
- Allow the oil to heat up for about 2 minutes, or until your instant pot displays the word “hot” before placing your popcorn kernels in the pot.
- Stir for about 1 minute before putting a lid on the top you can see through.
- In about 2-3 minutes of heating, while covered, you will start to hear the popcorn kernels popping.
- Let it pop for about 5 minutes or until most of the kernels have popped. Serve and enjoy!
Instant Pot Duo Plus, 6-Quart Whisper Quiet 9-in-1 Electric Pressure CookerBuy Now →
Instant Pot Tempered Glass LidBuy Now →
Pure Popcorn Butter Theater StyleBuy Now →
Popcorn Seasoning Mini Jars Variety PackBuy Now →
- You’ll want to be able to see your popcorn kernels to ensure they’re not burning after a couple of minutes of popping. If you don’t have a glass lid, you’ll want to check every once in a while, under the lid.
- If your popcorn kernels are older, they may not seem stale to you, but older kernels will not pop well, if at all, in the instant pot. Use fresh kernels.
- We used avocado oil, which resulted in some luscious popcorn. However, you can use any oil you have on hand.
- To get a more even pop, after every minute of popping, stir the popcorn or shake your instant pot to move around the popcorn. Unpopped kernels like to sometimes rest on already popped popcorn, which results in them not getting enough heat to pop. Moving the popcorn around helps these unpopped kernels get better heat.
- If you want buttery popcorn, you can add 1 tablespoon of butter with the oil. Once it’s melted, you can add your popcorn kernels.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Snacks